Wednesday, October 8, 2008

On To Adventures!


I was so afraid to come out of my room for the longest time. I was so alone, and didn't want to be in Alaska, but when they write one way on a ticket they aren't kidding. Luckily there was a girl in this vast place that came and got to know me... I guess it was god's way of saying, "See, you'll be fine here." Dee (Dorsita Soyans; only one of the coolest people I've met in Alaska!) came in my room all the time, and got me to go work extra hours with her on wash crew (washing buses). This is where I started meeting the drivers, and getting to know other people. She also got me to go to our LDS branch! Where I met Ty Mortenson! Who seemed like a snob at first, but once I got to know him, it turned out I was very wrong! He is a returned missionary, who is very handsome, has a great sense of humor, and is just great all around (nice to fat girls as my sisters would put it). I even pulled out all my best pick-up lines for him, and was a success when we started dating! This is a picture of him, and I at one point. As you can see my hair is a bit longer than it was once I came up (Because I cut it the day I got on the bus!). We had lots of adventures together! one of them was to have the opportunity to ride a helicopter with him, and take a tour on the Mead glacier (one of the many in Alaska)! Here are a few pictures of this particular adventure! This was a ton of fun, and very educational! We had to wear these big boots over our shoes. I guess they are specially made for glacier exploring! Mine where so big I kept tripping over them, and having to drag my feet. Maybe that was because my legs are to short, and I can't have feet bigger than size 5 shoes, or it is way to out of proportion! By the end of the adventure, I was so sick of stumbling after the group I just decided to do cart wheels (great idea right? NO!) After the first time my hands came up in the air, I felt a stinging pain all along my palm. My hands were bloody. As it turns out the top of a glacier is a sharp surface of ice (that's why they make you wear the silly boots)! Because our company worked with all the other tour vendors in Skagway, our employees could take their tours for free. Discover Alaska Tours (DAT as we call it) was the bus tours, so it was our job to take the tourist to most of the tours. We where a great selling point, and if the drivers (that's what
 Ty was) liked the tour, then it sold better. Every one loved the Helicopter tours! We where lucky to get on the same tour!
Ty and I also did lots of other fun things together, one of them was to jump in the Lynn Canal (which should be called a Fjord because it's carved by a glacier, and no man made), it's the pacific Ocean! It was SO cold!!!! 
Most of you know, but for those who don't, 
I'm petrified by the thought of deep water, with fish in it... because of all my near death experiences, and While I was in Alaska I decided
 to get over it... I finally learned how to swim. 
Yes, at the age of 20! Yay me! 
I'd also like to than
k Ty, and Garrett for helping me out! 
After I learned how to jump in, and swim in freezing (literally 29* moving water, that's why it is below freezing) water, there was no stopping it! I jumped in Lower Dewey (A glacier lake that is a 2 mile hike out of town) at least once a week, and I even jumped in Upper Dewey (it's an all day hike, 2 miles up, and a mile past lower Dewey), and Devil's punch bowl (I mile past upper Dewey, this one is the one that is straight off the glacier)! If you look really hard you can see me right in the middle of the picture about to jump in Devil's punch bowl!) You can see the snow, and the tip of the glacier, at the top of the photo!

1 comment:

JeanieE said...

Ticia!
He's handsome! AND his last name is Mortenson! woot go him!!!
hehe!